- Kajeet Smartspot™
- About Us
- CUSTOMER RESOURCES
- Kajeet Kids Phones
Kajeet Advocates Use of Cell Phone Contracts to Set Limits Before Giving Kids Mobile Devices
Bethesda, MD (PRWEB) February 24, 2010 -- Kajeet™ (www.kajeet.com), the safest cell phone service for kids, has published guidelines to help parents manage child cell phone use, along with a sample cell phone contract for parents and their children. The kajeet guidelines recommend establishing limits regarding the amount of use, time of use, and breadth of services that may be used. The guidelines also recommend establishing a firm budget before giving a cell phone to a child.
“Parents give their children cell phones for safety purposes, often without realizing the impact of kids having access to what essentially are small mobile computers.” said Daniel Neal, CEO and founder of kajeet. “We published these guidelines to encourage parents to set clear expectations and avoid common pitfalls of teen and tween cell phone use”.
The kajeet Guidelines for parents and kids include:
1. Establish a contract covering all key rules of use before giving your child his or her first cell phone. Cover “who, where, and how much” cell phone use is appropriate.
2. Agree to put the cell phone in a central recharging area at night, in a powered down condition.
3. Discuss and reach agreement on the appropriate cell phone etiquette (including use of phones during meals, at restaurants, in public areas).
4. Discuss the appropriate use of picture messaging and the hazards of inappropriate use.
5. Get a firm commitment that the phone will not be used when driving. Discuss what your child should do if in a car with a driver that is texting.
6. Review the rules of cell phones at school, and reach agreement that all school rules regarding cell phone use will be followed.
7. Establish a budget and identify who will pay for use of the cell phone.
8. Review the consequences that will result if the agreed rules of use are not followed.
The kajeet guidelines are available online at kajeet.com, along with a sample contract template that parents may download and tailor for their own family.
Kajeet Helps Families Avoid Excessive Cell Phone Use
A recent study links excess media consumption, excluding texting, to decreased school performance and lower levels of contentment. Though other studies also link high rates of texting with better literary skills, excessive cell phone use and texting can interfere with kids’ sleep, focus in the classroom, homework, mealtimes and social interactions. “Today’s kids are increasingly wired and mobile – many own a combination of cell phones, gaming devices, notebook computers, and ipods” said Sharon Vinderine, President of PTPA Media, Inc. “Concerned parents are looking for tools that can help them set limits and maintain the right balance between electronic interactions and face-to-face time with their friends and family.”
Kajeet aims to help parents and kids manage cell phone use appropriately so families can balance stay connected while demonstrating moderate, responsible use of mobile devices. Kajeet phones offer a full suite of parental controls such as Time Manager, which allows parents and kids to block calls and texts during school and at night; Contact Manager which allows parents and kids to block certain numbers; and Picture Manager, which allow parents to block picture messaging.
The kajeet service balances the desire for kids to have the latest gadgets with the need for parents to help kids manage these responsibly. Kajeet handsets and services, including handsets with colorful Qwerty keyboards and an array of talk, text, and pix services, are popular among teen and tween users.
Kajeet, the cell phone service made for kids, is based in
Daniel Neal, email@example.com
Get breaking news and helpful tips about kids and technology and
find out about hot deals and cool features on kajeet phones and
plans. Check out our blog. It could save you time and
Kajeet, the smart phone for kids, empowers kids with technology and gives parents tools to keep them safe. Kajeet is the only wireless service provider in America dedicated to kids and education.