Managing Internet Access on Your Kid's Android™ Device
Getting your kid a new Android™ smartphone? Make sure to equip your device with appropriate web access settings!
Restricting access over the Kajeet Network:
Kajeet’s Smart Blocker™ is a comprehensive filter for all cellular Internet access. This allows parents to control not only website access, but access of applications like Youtube, Netflix or Facebook. Parents can block content they feel is inappropriate for their kids, including adult content, weapons, drugs, profanity, malware, phishing websites and more. By implementing our filtering directly over the network, we do not rely on client software which can be tampered with or removed. Furthermore, if your child uses the mobile hotspot feature on their phone for data-tethering, the filtering is enforced on all connected devices.
Restricting access over WiFi:
How can a parent manage what sites a kid can access when he or she is not using Kajeet’s network connection? While we’re currently at work on a solution for this, here are a few suggestions:
- Set ground rules with your kid – and tell them what types of sites are okay to visit and which ones are not. With a Kajeet phone, parents get free, unlimited parental controls and the ability to set the limits that are right for their kid. But a good place to start may be just talking about what it means to have a cell phone and the responsibility that comes with owning one. If you need some guidance starting that conversation, check out a blog post we did on this topic.
- Turn WiFi off on the phone. On most phones, wireless networks can be accessed under the “Settings” menu. Simply turn off access to wireless connectivity there. Most Androids have a data usage application, so you’ll be able to see on your kid’s phone whether they’re turning WiFi back on without your permission. You may want to explain to your kid that they shouldn't be turning on WiFi to reach websites that are being blocked by Kajeet.
- Filter your Internet at home. There are free tools like OpenDNS that allow you to set parental controls for any device that uses your home Internet connection. And remember: you can password-protect your home WiFi for added security!
- Enable content filtering on Google Play Store. This free filter is available on every Android™ device and works regardless of how your kid is connected to the Internet. It allows parents to determine what types of applications will be visible to their kid when he or she is searching in the Google Play store (previously called the "Android Market"). Apps are ranked by maturity label and parents can designate what types of apps are shown (and lock their setting preferences with a unique pin code). You can learn more about this tool here.
- Explore safe browser solutions. There are many providers who offer downloadable applications that provide WiFi content filtering. Net Nanny, Mobicip and K9 Web Protection are some companies that offer such solutions (although Kajeet does not support or endorse their technology).
Have other solutions that you have implemented with your kid? Let us know what you’ve done and how it’s worked!
Android is a trademark of Google Inc.